Huawei Technologies Co. Ltd. is a Chinese multinational networking and telecommunications equipment and services company headquartered in Shenzhen, Guang dong.
The Huawei Y520-U22 smartphone was released on December 2014. You can get more information about the smartphone and its specifications on the GSM Arena website.
Remember, when you flash or update an android smartphone’s firmware you simply re-install the software. This is done to fix possible bugs, to customize it and so on.
Most of the time the flashing process requires a flashing software like SP Flash tool or Spreadtrum and their drivers.
Luckily, you don’t need all of that to update this smartphone.
The Huawei Company has created a simple file that one can use to update the phone’s firmware without using the SP Flash tool.
Now when should you update the Huawei Y520’s firmware? Well, do read below to find out.
Update the Huawei Y520-U22 Firmware When You Notice the Following:
- If your smart phone crashes or freezes every now and then. Keep in mind that freezing can be caused by junk files and having less storage. You can also try wiping (factory reset) your smartphone to clean it.
- Update the firmware if your smartphone can read the sim card but shows a ‘no service’ message. However, I believe this can be fixed without downloading the firmware file. And you can fix this by downloading and installing the Kingo Root app and Chamelephon app. This method is explained later on the post.
- If some apps appear as com.android… (developer package file name) and their icon is the android’s logo on the main menu.
- If it shows the “unfortunately, ‘app name’ has stopped” message frequently. And you can try to fix this, simply by updating the app that shows this message. If that doesn’t work then try updating the firmware.
- It stuck on the android logo screen (boot loop or soft brick)
Things You Need to Update the Huawei Y520-U22 Firmware (Software)
- Huawei Y520-U22 software.
- Fully charged battery.
- Smartphone’s IMEI numbers.
- Chamelephon app
- Kingo Root app
- Data bundles minimum of 1GB. This is dependent on the firmware file size.
Part A: Fixing the “No service” Error Message. No Firmware Download Required.
If your smartphone can read your sim card but shows a “no service” message do the following: Firstly, write down your smartphone’s IMEI numbers. The IMEI numbers can be found below the battery (IMEI 1 and IMEI 2) or you can just get new IMEI number.
Tip: Connect to data services using a Wi-Fi (Hotspot) connection to be able to use the data services on your smartphone.
Thirdly, open the King Root app and root your smartphone.
Fourthly, open the Chamelephon app and enter your smartphone’s IMEI numbers and click Apply New IMEIs.
Restart your smart phone and it should read your sim card now.
Part B: Updating the Huawei Y520-U22 Firmware or Software
To update the Huawei Y520-U22 firmware you have to download the firmware file by clicking here.
Next, extract the file on your computer and look for the update.zip file under the dload folder.
Transfer the update.zip file (DON’T unzip the file) to your smartphone’s SD (Media) Card. Make sure to insert your SD (Media) Card to your Huawei Y520-U22 smartphone.
Now go to your phone’s settings –> storage on your smart phone and scroll down to Software Upgrade. Click software upgrade –> SD Card Upgrade then confirm.
You can’t access the settings screen? No worries, use the recovery mode method.
Huawei Y520-U22 Software Update using the Recovery Mode Method.
I assume your phone is off… Now press and hold both the Volume Up + Power buttons. You will then see the bootloader menu showing you three (3) options. Select Recovery mode on that screen and you will be taken to the Android system recovery screen.
On that screen, select apply update from SD card. Locate the file on your SD card then select it to begin the process.
Your smart phone will then begin the process.
Wait for the process to complete and make sure you don’t remove anything from the smartphone until the whole process is done.
If you encounter problems or have suggestions don’t hesitate to leave a comment below or simply contact us, cheers.